Brandon Segal, Esq.
email: [email protected]
An experienced advocate, delivering trusted solutions and exceptional client service.
Brandon Segal draws from his years of experience as a former prosecutor, civil litigator, and judicial law clerk to provide his clients with unparalleled representation. He has earned an excellent reputation and fostered positive relationships with attorneys, judges, and the legal community. He is dedicated to maintaining credibility, trust, and professional respect with his clients.
Department of the Prosecuting Attorney, County of Maui - Deputy Prosecuting Attorney
- Vehicular Homicide and Traffic Safety Unit Supervisor– Handled all traffic-related felonies, supervised DPAs for OVUII and traffic-related offenses, and collaborated with local and state agencies on traffic safety-related policy and legislation.
- Circuit Court / Family Court Deputy – Responsible for jury trials and prosecuting all classes of felony offenses, adult Family Court offenses, and jury-demand misdemeanor trials. Also handled juvenile prosecution, Circuit Court mental health calendar, HRPP Rule 40 cases, and appeals.
- Felony Screening Division – Handled case screening, investigation, information charging, preliminary hearing, and grand jury proceedings for all felony-level offenses.
- District Court Supervisor – Supervised DPAs in District Court, managed the mental health calendar, trained law enforcement on legal issues, and collaborated with local and state agencies on District Court policy and legislation.
- District Court Deputy – Prosecuted traffic offenses, violations, petty misdemeanors, and misdemeanor bench trials. Handled Environmental Court and outer-district Courts.
Alston Hunt Floyd & Ing (now known as Dentons) - Associate Attorney
- Practice concentrated on commercial and real property litigation. Work included discovery, depositions, legal research and briefing, and appearances before Hawaii District Courts, Hawaii Circuit Courts and Federal U.S. District Court for pre-trial, contested and dispositive motions, and settlement conferences. Other work included appellate briefing before the Hawaii appellate courts and U.S Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, adversarial bankruptcy actions, and creditor rights.
Hawai‘i Intermediate Court of Appeals - Law Clerk
- Assisted Chief Judge with legal research, memorandums, and drafting of appellate opinions in several areas of criminal and civil law.
U.S. District Court, District of Hawai‘i - Law Intern
- Assisted federal judge with legal research and writing of orders and memorandums on issues of federal and state law.
Supreme Court of Hawai‘i - Law Extern
- Assisted law clerks and Associate Justice in research and drafting of legal opinions and memorandums on various appellate civil and criminal issues.
Education and Professional Activities
University of Hawai`i, William S. Richardson School of Law - Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, U.H. Law Review.
Bar Admissions: State of Hawaii, U.S. District Court, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Bar and Pro Bono Activities: Maui County Bar Association (President, Vice-President, and Treasurer); HSBA Young Lawyers Division (Maui Director); Committee on Overcoming Barriers to Access to Justice (Member); Second Circuit Self-Help Center Committee (Member); Second Circuit Court Navigator Pilot Project Committee (Member); Courts in the Community (Volunteer); Appellate Pro Bono Pilot Project Committee (Member).